Java* Jive *: -script

So after an age, I finally repaired my WordPress backend and a few other bugs in the system. Those links to the right, for instance — they’re supposed to be in reverse chronological order, such that the most recent links are to the top. For over a year it has, instead, been randomized. That was a workaround that I figured would do until I worked out the actual problem.

On the backend none of the Javascript seemed to work properly. I couldn’t get a word count for an entry. The tag cloud was broken, as was every pulldown menu. It was hell to edit an old entry from the “All Posts” menu.

All this time I had assumed that the bugs were related to some malicious activity last summer. I was puzzled that the problems remained, as I knew I had cleared out all of the problem code. Turns out… no. At some point, and I don’t remember doing this, I must have added a line of code related to Google Translate. Somehow its JQuery request interfered with the WordPress hierarchy, and they canceled each other out.

So just now I removed that line, and… it works. Everything is perfect again.

That’s a bit of a weight off. It’s sort of depressing to watch something that you’ve worked hard on fall into disrepair and to have no recourse to fix it.

Mind you, the site is ready for a rewrite anyway. One of these days when life isn’t too complicated, I may do just that.

Find-If-JS

One of my lingering WordPress problems deals with UI elements labeled with the “hide-if-no-js” category. Presumably the idea is that if the page fails to load the required javascript code then it will just ignore the element rather than hanging and refusing to do anything else that the page needs to do.

Presumably the reason that I can’t view or easily add tags to my posts, and that I can’t easily change a post’s visibility or publishing date, and that I can’t easily upload and insert an image, is that the page is not locating the required javascript — or the javascript in question is somehow faulty.

So I’ve got a great half-explanation on my hands that goes nowhere to actually solve my problem. What I guess I need to do is figure out what code my post-new.php page is looking for, ascertain whether the code is in fact where it’s supposed to be, and either find and replace it or not, and fix it if so.

This may be a perfectly simple exercise, but from here it feels daunting.

UPDATE: I’ve gone through and systematically re-uploaded all of the standard WordPress files except for those in the root directory, so that would seem to narrow things down. I’ve now just got 22 possible culprits to weed through.

UPDATE 2: Okay, I dunno. I’ve gone through and visually compared all of the remaining files, and combed through the unique files for code that doesn’t belong, and I’m turning up nothing. So I’ve no clue why I still have this problem with POST.PHP (and, to a lesser extent, with POST-NEW.PHP).

Update 3: It’s not a browser issue, either. I knew it wasn’t, because the pages used to work just fine in Chrome. I hit the same problems in Opera as well, so there’s something on the server side that just isn’t working.

On the Hoof

I’m going to interrupt my normal stream of blather and arguable productivity for a private service announcement.

My fiancée, Jenique, is training for the New York Marathon, as a member of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society’s (LLS) Team In Training. If you can, please donate to help advance LLS’s mission. It’s all tax deductible, so you get to flip off the IRS next year as well.

http://pages.teamintraining.org/nyc/nyc10/jenique

You don’t have to plunder your piggy bank; if you can afford five, ten, twenty dollars, that’s great.

So there it is. Thanks for whatever you can do.